Saturday, July 21, 2012

brave.

Jere has a new fascination with swings. At two years old, the big kid swings at the park seem so high for him. I'm always nervous he'll flip off backwards, or even worse, flip to the front and faceplant into the rocks. I worry too much. Yesterday I caught him doing something that made my stomach curl. While on the swing, with his tiny feet dangling freely, he would let go of the chains. He'd quickly grab them again, but I caught a glimpse of that daring personality shining through again. I thought to myself... He's so brave. That's terrifying and awesomeAs a mother, you never want your children to be bound by fear. But you also know that a complete lack of fear can lead to reckless abandonment of common sense. And so, I didn't intervene. I just watched. And guess what?? He survived his few moments on the swing and when it became too much, he asked for my help. Its true what they say, that we learn from our kids. God is teaching me so much through my boys. I am learning to let go. I am learning to be a little more daring. Braver. 

This week I posted a couple of pics onto the fan page of a photography blog I follow. And... I didn't die (even though I was super nervous about it, and only three people liked my photos, and they were my friends). But I did it. I put myself out there, did something brave, brave for me atleast. I have been functioning at half of my potential for a long time now, because I was afraid. If you had asked me just a month ago, I would have told you I have a lot of hobbies- I like to sing, I try to write, I take pictures, I sew, I homeschool my kids, I fiddle with all sorts of stuff. But today, I am coming to terms with some things. I am a teacher, a photographer, a singer, a writer. Pretending like I'm not called to be all of these things is just not ok. I have so much faith in the One who is equipping me, and I can't continue to ignore His purposeful gifts. I read an interesting quote on Joyce Meyer's facebook page today. Hopefully I don't flub it up. "Stop living emotionally, and start living on purpose." Amen to that.




I hope this finds you letting go, being brave, and living on purpose :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh my friend, you are so brave yourself. I know what a feat it is to say I am a ____ (fill in the blank). Especially when that blank is something that requires talent and hard work. We put ourselves out there and know that not only will our work be judged, but we will be too. When you can say I am a _____ with confidence and realize that God HAS equipped you for a reason then you can begin to live the life He planned for you. When we let go of the "I'm just a...(girl, boy, kid, mom)" mentality and embrace the "I AM A...(photographer, writer, artist)" it makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog Bekah. It always seems to speak to me in some way, this one espically did. It is hard not to think of myself as just a mom, and UPS worker. I know I have talents but never had the courage to ever think they were anything more. Thank you for teaching me to be brave and to embrace my talents and to truely make them gifts for God's purpose. It is awesome when we learn something through our child's eyes. As always love ya Bekah

    ReplyDelete
  3. THis is a-ma-zing, Bekah! I am looking forward to following you on your journey following Jesus and gleaming insight and wisdom for my own :)

    ReplyDelete