Friday, July 20, 2012

Prop Shop: Mason Jar

Ok... So this isn't much of a tutorial, but more of a fantastically simple idea. I've done it. I know YOU can do it. I've said it before. I love props for photo sessions for all sorts of reasons. I think they bring personality and character to your photos. They give your subjects a chance to show off a part of themselves, and most importantly- they are a beautiful distraction. I cannot tell you how valuable this has been for me as a newbie. The minute I pull out my bag of tricks {and I always have one} the atmosphere changes, the guards are down, and folks feel more comfortable. Give a teenager a pretty flower to look at and then show her how amazing she looks in your camera- the rest of the shoot is a breeze. Really, it's that simple... sometimes. I also carry jelly beans for child bribery which takes care of the rest :)

So, today's suggestion?? A jar full of flowers. Say, what?! Yes. I'm so serious. Flowers are pretty by themselves, but throw them in a jar and they take on a life of their own. The possibilities are endless! I did this shoot a month or so ago- engagement photos for some friends. When she told me she'd be sporting red shoes I flipped out a little. I had been hoarding tons of ideas for red props.

What you are looking at is an old canning jar out of my pantry, with a piece of baling wire wrapped and twisted into a heart as a handle, and a $5 Wal-Mart bouquet of flowers, trimmed with twine. It's that easy. This turned out to be my absolute favorite shot- the way the tiny heart is peeking around their intertwined fingers... aagghhh, I LOVE it!!




Fun thought of the day... maybe those things that you wish you could do, but keep convincing yourself that you can't- maybe you're making too much out of them. Maybe it's as simple as putting yourself out there and throwing some flowers in a jar. 
I hope this finds you trying something new, putting your own creative spin on it, and surprising the pants off of yourself. Happy Friday :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment